Hemp, or Cannabidiol (CBD), oil is often used by people who seek pain relief. Although it’s made from cannabis, CBD oil is not psychoactive like THC, despite also being a type of cannabinoid. Using CBD oil for pain is safer than using opioids. It is not habit-forming and can be effective in reducing pain, inflammation, and discomfort.
How Can CBD Oil Help with Pain Relief?
Extensive research has been conducted on how CBD oil works in the body. Researchers believe it interacts with receptors on cells of the brain and immune system. Attached to the surface of cells, these receptors, or proteins, receive chemical signals to generate a response to outside substances. This is how CBD oil’s anti-inflammatory and pain-killing properties take effect.
A review in the publication Therapeutics and Clinical Risk Management looked at studies of CBD conducted from the late 1980s up to 2007. The research concluded CBD was effective at pain management, as well as treating insomnia caused by chronic pain, with minimal adverse side effects (it can possibly cause nausea, irritability, and trouble sleeping). Researchers also found CBD oil could reduce muscle spasms associated with multiple sclerosis, and thereby reduce pain and stiffness brought on by these spasms.
Types of Pain CBD Oil Helps
- Arthritis: Cytokines cause inflammation, but CBD can prevent them from forming, reducing swelling, stiffness, and pain. With CBD oil, there’s also no risk of getting ulcers or bleeding that other anti-inflammatory drugs can cause.
- Chronic Pain: The analgesic properties of hemp oil makes it helpful for people with chronic pain. An increase in the body’s cannabinoid receptors helps reduce inflammation. It’s especially helpful for people with chronic back pain.
- Fibromyalgia: Fibromyalgia is associated with muscle and bone pain, joint stiffness, fatigue, and headaches that can interfere with normal activities. Users of CBD oil have reported a reduction in these symptoms, while getting better sleep, which reduces fatigue.
- Chemotherapy Pain: Not only does CBD help reduce pain associated with chemotherapy, but also nausea, vomiting, fatigue, and weakness as well as insomnia; some studies have shown evidence CBD can slow the growth of certain types of cancer cells.
- Menstrual Pain: By using CBD oil, women with intense cramping, bloating, and body aches have seen relief. Cannabidiol helps relax muscles to sooth cramps and aches, and can act as a mood stabilizer as well, reducing irritability and mood swings.
How to Use Hemp Oil for Pain
You can take CBD oil in many ways. By placing drops under the tongue, it can enter the bloodstream quickly, allowing the cannabidiol to take effect shortly thereafter. Other ways to use hemp oil for pain include consuming it in foods (as edibles), as capsules or gummies (which take longer to be absorbed into the bloodstream), and topical creams. A CBD cream can be used to massage sore muscles or treat other types of pain; the effects are immediate but not long-lasting.
Learn More from The Born Co.
The Born Co. is a platform for raising awareness of CBD and its benefits. It also serves as a source of high-quality cannabidiol products for people with a variety of needs, including those who use CBD oil for pain. To learn more about our product lines, including Born Original and Born Active; our Veteran Program; and to obtain valuable information about the uses of CBD, browse our website or contact us at 626-241-2016 or firstname.lastname@example.org.